Portuguese Piri Piri Whole Roasted Chicken with Crispy Potatoes.... Piri Piri sauce is a little spicy, a little sweet, a bit salty and all around complex. It's like a flavor explosion in your mouth.
- Roasting pan
- Turbo Trusser
- Whole chicken 5-6 lb.
- 2 lb. redskin potatoes or medium russet potatoes peeled and sliced ¼”
Piri Piri Rub
- 5 Tablespoons (Spicewalla Piri Piri powdered spice) or other Piri Piri spice powder
- ¼ Cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 6 Cloves of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 Cup Cilantro leaves (not packed)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Rinse chicken and remove any innards and pat dry with paper towels
- Combine all Piri Piri ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Brush Piri Piri mixture over entire chicken and under skin over the breast and inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Let marinate in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine sliced potatoes and 1 Tablespoon of Piri Piri mixture and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Toss in the bowl to evenly coat potatoes and then layer in the bottom of the greased roasting pan.
- Truss the Chicken with the Turbo Trusser.
- Place chicken directly on top of potatoes.
- Place roasting pan in the oven on the middle rack.
- Roast chicken at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and then turn down to 350 degrees
- While the chicken is roasting, place all of the ingredients for the Green Sauce in a food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Finish roasting until chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees F
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, remove Turbo Trusser, carve, plate and garnish with buttered green peas. Enjoy!